Thursday, June 23, 2011

Arkansas Democrats Are an Undesirable Bunch, per Columnist Pat Lynch

             Well OK, he didn’t exactly say that. What he did opine in his weekly liberal rant published in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette newspaper on Monday June 20th was “Arkansas Democrats are, generally speaking, nothing but a bunch of gun-loving, tax-hating, social conservatives who are totally infatuated with big corporations and the well-to-do.”
            As a registered Democrat I take total offense at this description. I am not “infatuated with big corporations and the well-to-do”!
            I will confess to being infatuated with Michele Bachmann and Sarah Palin; but that is purely on prurient grounds plus the fact that their lives seem to mirror their professed ideals and values, which is rather quaint for politicians. But big corporations and the well-to-do have no special appeal for my infatuation.
For example a large number of our political incumbents in Washington are “well-to-do” and “infatuation’ is not a word found on my list of words of what I think of most of them; Barney Franks and Chris Dodd come to mind.
            Secondly big corporations include such august names as AIG, GM, Chrysler, Lehman Brothers, Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and others. Nope, “infatuation” is not a word that comes to mind when I think of big corporations.
            I can only wish, hope and pray that Mr. Lynch is partially correct; that “Arkansas Democrats are, generally speaking, a bunch of gun-loving, tax-hating, social conservatives”. But alas I fear and despair that even here he may be in error.
But lacking any statistically valid data other than the fact that the citizens of Arkansas threw out Senator Blanche “Obamacare” Lincoln and drove “Uber” liberal Congressman Vic Snyder into retirement, I’ll accept Mr. Lynch’s premise on these three characterizations. Three out of five ain’t all that bad. In baseball that earns you millions. And for a liberal to be that close to accuracy is almost beyond belief.
(I’ll have to stop writing now and strap on my concealed weapon and head for the Tea Party rally.)
Oh, in the interest of complete and open ‘blogging’, I must mention that Mr. Lynch is a personal friend of mine. Well, as personal as a “gun-loving, tax-hating, socially conservative” can be with a progressive liberal; think Jews-Palestinians. Although I’ve never inquired, I always assumed that he was a Democrat until I read his description of one. Mr. Lynch certainly isn’t characterized by the first three; not certain about the last two, but he probably leans in that direction.

No comments: