Tuesday, September 27, 2011

On The Agony of Reporting a Terrorist.

            I was uncomfortable as I considered my responsibility to actually call the FBI to report my having apparently identified a real, live terrorist.
She didn’t fit the mold of the typical terrorist that I pictured in my mind. She didn’t wear a burka or walk three paces behind her husband; who only has one wife, the same person I had now identified as a potential terrorist. She was in her seventies, walked with an arthritic limp, had reared three children and had two grandchildren currently serving in the US Army, both paratroopers. She even attended a Christian house of worship on a rather regular basis and was involved in several Bible study classes. Overall, rather a perfect cover for a now identified terrorist.
            To my knowledge she has never previously engaged in any terrorist activity; not any crime for that matter. Yet she was now publicly called out by our political leaders and identified as a terrorist, a person whose very existence was hazardous to the health and future of our nation. It broke my heart to think that I should be the one to call Home Land Security and turn her in; yet what else could I do? And she and all of her friends would eventually figure out that the “snitch” was I. Would they retaliate against me?
            But, my President has made it clear that she poses extreme danger to our country. The White House even has its own website for reporting citizens that disagree with the current administration. Could I do less then and not report a recognized terrorist?
           In the agony of my mental turmoil I decided that prior to turning her in to the FBI that I should at least attempt to verify that she really was a member of a terrorist cell.
          I summoned up the courage and in a face-to-face encounter, (conducted in a public place to help ensure my safety), I ventured to verify if she were actually “one of them”. I asked her, “Are you really a member of the T.E.A. Party?”

No comments: